Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Quick History of Me

Here's a quick background of who I am, why I'm blogging, and what I hope to accomplish here.

I have been with JD Edwards/PeopleSoft/Oracle for almost ten years now. The first three or so years were spent on the support organizations SWAT team flying to customer sites to address specific customer issues and provide technical assistance. Life on the road was great; I traveled to more than twelve countries and countless client sites and really enjoyed the work. It came time to stop traveling so much so I settled down in the Denver area and created the Support Assistant diagnostic product. I'm still very proud of SA, and am glad to say that the product is alive and kicking. More on that later.

After working primarily on SA for five or so years I decided to tip my hat into something new. I wanted to apply my experience from the field and support organizations and create something new. The result is Server Manager. Specifically, I wanted to address
  • The difficulty in installing and upgrading our server based products
  • The difficulties around configuration management; understanding all the configuration parameters and managing the configuration of servers across an E1 installation
  • The difficulty in monitoring the activity of E1 servers
  • The difficulty associated with troubleshooting servers when something goes wrong
Hopefully you'll see that Server Manager addresses these and many other administration activities that will truly result in a lower cost of ownership.

As someone unbelievably addicted to blogs, generally of a geeky nature, I've been "inspired" by many others to use this forum to publish tips, tricks, knowledge, and general musings on the product of which I'm so proud. I'm particularly inspired by a blog by a co-worker entitled 'The Buttso Blathers' with very insightful posts on all things OAS (Oracle Application Server).

There is one thing this blog does not represent; it is not a support forum or a place to seek help.  So tune in and learn more about the exciting Server Manager product.